Aims of Course
This course is suitable for those who :-
- Have kept bees for at least 2 years and
- Have Basic Certificate and
- Have studied Module 6 in some detail
The 16 hour study sessions over 8 meetings is divided into :-
- 12 Hours – either Seend OR Chippenham group.
- 4 Hours – combined sessions in Devizes
6 x Seend or Chippenham Group sessions will be held on Mondays, between 7.30pm – 9.30pm.
2 x Combined Group sessions will be held on Tuesdays, between 7.30pm – 9.30pm.
Meetings: See Education main page for course dates
The sessions will cover answers to Module 6 questions, for example:-
- How can a colony of 50,000 bees live in harmony – most of the time – in an area roughly 18”X18”X27” (1 brood & 3 super boxes)?
- Who makes the decisions in the colony? How?
- How do bees communicate? Once inside the hive there is little that they can see.
- How do they know where to get to the best forage?
- What alerts them to vary the type of forage – it may change daily.
- How is nectar, with possibly 70% water content changed to honey with under 20% and with added enzymes?
- What leads to swarming?
- How is a new “des res” chosen?
Further details on BBKA Modules can be found here
Please contact Dick Church, Education Co-ordinator, for further details. education @ kennet-beekeepers.co.uk (take out the spaces)